Wednesday, August 7, 2013

"I saw Jesus..."

Mark 10:14
The Message (MSG)

"The people brought children to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus was irate and let them know it: “Don’t push these children away. Don’t ever get between them and me. These children are at the very center of life in the kingdom. Mark this: Unless you accept God’s kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you’ll never get in.” Then, gathering the children up in his arms, he laid his hands of blessing on them." (emphasis added)

Last night my eight year old son, Samuel asked to speak to me privately.  It was the first time he has ever made such request.  He was so serious about the matter that he did not want to speak until we entered the living room and sat down.  I was amazed at his maturity at that moment.

Obviously something happened!

Yesterday was Samuel's first day back to school and I thought maybe he experienced a negative response from his teacher or peers.

I asked him what happened and this is what he answered:



'Mom, I saw Jesus.  I was playing outside and I saw Him by the tree.  He had his hands like this (he demonstrated how Jesus hands were like the picture on the right).  He was looking at me.  And then we (the class) went back inside.  I was sitting at my desk and He was there too.  I asked Him to help me with my writing and mom, He did!  He really did! Then He left up to heaven."  Samuel's voice was shaky as he spoke.  His astonishment was evident as he again tried to explain it in greater details.

I asked him how he felt about it all and he responded "I was so happy."

His encounter with Jesus left him in awe.  I've never seen my son act or speak in such seriousness.  As he recounted the event, I can sense the impact.  At first he caught me off guard when he mentioned that he saw Jesus.  I listened intently so as to discern, without interrupting him.  After, I explained to him that Jesus is truly real and alive.  That He isn't just a fairy tale story in a book.  I told Samuel how much Jesus loves him and desires to be with him, talk to him and help him.  Therefore I instructed him to talk to Jesus; to pray and read his bible.  He was very receptive and excited as he agreed.

This ministered to me in many ways.  When my son was speaking my first inward reaction was disbelief because I couldn't fathom this to be true. Then I felt concerned that he may relay this to a friend and be ridiculed or his teacher and be reprimanded for speaking about Jesus in a public school.  I didn't want my son to experience persecution.  I immediately felt a conviction in my spirit.  Therefore, regardless of my concerns, I knew better than to forbid my son to speak about his encounter if he chose to share.

As I was praying this morning, thanking God for my son's encounter and asking that Jesus be with him in school, He began to speak to me:  "Did I not speak to you of the things that I have purposed  for him while he was in his mother's womb.  I am not a man that I should lie...."  I began to weep because Holy Spirit brought me into remembrance of all that He had spoken over Samuel before he was born.  One of which He mentioned was that as a child, Samuel will be used and be heard by God.  Amazingly, the meaning of the name "Samuel" is 'heard by God'! I wept even the more and repented for my unbelief and concerns.

"Unless you accept God’s kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you’ll never get in." This part of the scripture that I shared above rang loud into my hearing and it caused me to tremble.  A child's faith is simple.  They accept the impossible to be possible and do not question or over analyze.  They simply believe.

My fear of my son coming into ridicule and persecution could have kept him from the blessings of God.  For the word of God says "Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.…" (Matthew 5:10-11)

I am grateful to Holy Spirit for the conviction, reconfirming my son's calling and the lesson I learned in this all.  Sometimes as adults we get caught up with our own perceptions of the possible that we miss out on seeing the impossible.  In doing so we limit God to manifest himself as He desires.

Nothing can be more impacting than an encounter with the LORD.  Something happens when we are in His Presence.  Like a child, we too must simply believe....

Parents, listen closely to what your children tell you about what they see (visions) or what they dream or what they hear.  Do not discourage them despite whether you believe it to be true or not.  God is speaking to our children and increasing their receptivity.  He is raising them in THIS generation, not the next.  He desires to use them NOW, not when they are older and have gone through bible college and ordinations of man.  Children are more apt to speak of what they see and hear than most adults today and that is why God will use them mightily.  Adults first have to filter what they see and hear through their own finite mind and then count the cost (too high, beneficial or profitable).  They wait for countless confirmations without seeking the counsel of the One who gave them the vision, dream or words to speak. (I'm talking to myself right here and probably a few that are reading this post. So I will say the first "ouch".)

Again I am thankful to God for all He is doing in my son and what he will do for God's glory at such a tender age.  I am simply believing that all that God has spoken in all of our lives WILL come to fruition that includes you and your children!

Let's continue to raise our children in the ways of the LORD.  Pray for their protection, the anointing and their destiny in Him.  Pray for a greater capacity to understand the things of the LORD as they develop an intimate relationship with Jesus!  Increased visions and dreams and a boldness to speak of what they hear and see from the LORD!  Glory be to God!

Acts 2:17
"'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. (emphasis added)